Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

We Got Our Referral!!!!

THE REFERRAL

So on July 1, we got our new waiting list number and we had moved seven whole places to #10!!  We were so excited and couldn't believe there had been that much movement.  On average, we had only been moving about 2 places per month, so this was big.  I had told several people that it was possible that the call for our referral could come in any day.  But I'm not sure I really believed that.


3:15pm on July 2, 2013.  Phone rang and I saw it was Lifeline.  I wondered why they would be calling me and my heart started pounding before I even answered the phone.  When she told me that it was Lesley (Scott) and Jennifer (Sheridan), I knew they had to be calling about a referral.  Crazy.  I couldn't believe it and had to sit down on the couch.  We got on the phone with Bret and she gave me the few particulars that she had.  His name is Fedisa.  He is healthy.  He is only 3.5 months old!!  We were emailed a picture and the few documents that they had regarding his health and also his birth certificate. She told us to think about it, talk about it, pray about it and get back to her regarding whether we wanted to accept or deny the referral.  

Bret was at a client's office, but left immediately to come home because I wanted to talk with him about it.  When he walked in I said, "So what do you think?  We need to pray about it."  He responded with, "I've been praying all the way home.  And besides, we've been praying this whole time.  It was basically decided when we knew this was what we were supposed to do.  I don't see the need to talk or pray anymore.  Let's accept it."  Well, we did pray together and then I called Lesley and told her that we would accept it.  She emailed me the paperwork to make it official, and the next day we mailed it and the referral payment to West Sands.  

We received a nice picture of him (which I can't post until he is officially ours) and I think he is beautiful!  It definitely makes it more real when you can look at a face and know that the child you are praying for is on this earth and you know his name and you know his face and you know he needs you.  The waiting will be harder, I know.  But I'm so thankful we have made it to this point.  My friend Jennifer Eaton said, "So, a year ago around the time that you received your official number on the wait list, your baby began being knitted together in his mother's womb. I love it when we can look back and see why God made us wait... it's all in His perfect timing!"  Oh how true that is!  God is so good!

THE PROCESS (as I currently understand it)

So our acceptance of referral is on it's way to West Sands in Utah.  (The 4th of July holiday will put a slight delay in that.)  Once it's there, they will send it wherever it needs to go.  There will then be a hearing for them to look over our paperwork and his paperwork to determine if things can move forward. (We will not be at this hearing.)  If everything passes inspection, a court date will be set.  We will have to be at this court proceeding where, when finished, he will be our son! But we don't get to leave with him.  We come home without him and wait for the US to do their parts (investigation, paperwork, Visas, etc.).  The average wait time for court is 2-3 months and the average wait time for the US work is 3-4 months.  BUT there are some extenuating circumstances which could throw a wrench in those timetables.  

The rainy season in Ethiopia is fast approaching and it shuts down the courts.  I've heard it will shut down August 6 and won't reopen till end of September or early October.  My agency said there is an 80% chance our court date will not be till after it reopens in October.  We will likely not even hear when our court date will be until after court reopens. So it's possible we will wait another three months before knowing when we will even travel to him.  When we get our court date, there is no way to know if it will be held close to the date we are told of it, or months out.   But there is that first hearing that we won't be attending.  Once we hear that it has happened, we will hopefully have a better idea of when court will be held.  

The other issue is a new process being implemented.  It's the PAIR process and it begins September 1, 2013.  Currently, Ethiopia does it's investigation regarding parents or other living relatives who might be willing to take the child.  If they find the child to definitely be orphaned, court is scheduled and the child is adopted.  Then the US does their investigation.  They double and triple check what ET has already done.  This is a good thing, except that they are doing it AFTER the child has been adopted out.  I want that child to be with his family, but I'd like to find that out before I have adopted him.  So the PAIR process is doing just that.  The US will begin it's investigation before court to help insure all is correct and the child is in fact orphaned before handing them over via adoption to the new parents.    This is very good process and is very much needed.  The issue for us is that we don't know where we fall regarding that process.  It would be better for us to miss the deadline and not have to go through it, for the mere fact that the first ones through will meet the most hiccups.  We all know how these things have to have their kinks worked out before it becomes a smooth process.  We shall see...

MY THOUGHTS

A few months ago, I started praying that Justus would be home before the end of 2013.  I knew this would be a long shot unless God intervened.  So far, He has.  So I'm continuing to pray for him to be home before the end of the year.  But I also know that God's timing is perfect and His plans are best.  Maybe it will be best for all involved if he comes home before December of 2013... and maybe he won't be home till December of 2014.  I don't know.  I know the wait will be HARD, but I am reminding myself here and now that HE is in control.  HE knows what's best.  HE loves me.  HE loves Justus.  HE can be trusted. HE is worthy no matter what may come.

I printed out a picture of him and pray for him every time I see it.  Every time I see it I fall more in love with him.  Every time I see it I think he is more beautiful than the last time I looked at him.  All this feels very surreal and wonderful at the same time and I can't wait to hold him and rock him and kiss him.  (We need to fatten him up though...his cheeks aren't nearly squishy enough!)

The girls are super excited and think he is so cute and can't wait to meet him.  Bret says, "It may only be a referral, but he's my son".  (People have already said he has "Bret's scowl".)  I'm just waiting for the day I get to lay my eyes on him.  Can't come quick enough!!  Thank you, Lord, for your goodness, for putting this desire on our hearts. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited that you finally KNOW your son!!! :) God IS in this!!! And His timing IS PERFECT...even when we don't feel it is. (I'm preaching to myself here). God is GOOD and He is blessing Fedisa and y'all!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete