Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Orientation Interview

So, we had our first interview today.  Bret and I spoke on the phone with Brittney, our caseworker at Lifeline.  She asked us a ton of questions about ourselves: Have you had cancer?  How do your kids feel about adoption?  How long have you been working for your employer?  Have you ever been arrested?  Have you ever used drugs?  Do you drink regularly?  Have you ever been involved in a domestic violence situation?  And the list goes on and on.  Fortunately they were easy questions and easy answers.  And she said there were no red flags that she was concerned about for the home study portion of this process.  WooHoo!  First test: Passed!

We received the paperwork for the home study process; it's extensive.  They weren't kidding when they said there was lots of paperwork.  And we have barely begun.  I know there's no time frame we have to have this done by, but I feel like I have to fill it all out as quickly as possible.  Obviously, the sooner we do, the sooner our boy can come home.  Brittney told us today that once our dossier is completed here and sent to Ethiopia, we will have to wait about 6-7 months for a referral.  The referral is when they have a child picked out for you.  I didn't know it took that long, but apparently that's actually fast.  Feels like a long time.  

On Sunday we will have the first visit to our home by our home study caseworker, Jo.  That's a little nerve wracking.  I'm glad it's only two days away; less time to get worked up over it.  The girls will be here and will talk to Jo too.  Already praying about what is going to come out of their mouths! 

I know I'll be cleaning all day tomorrow too!  I was told by a friend who has done this that they don't come to look at the cleanliness of the house...but I'll be scrubbing toilets anyway.  :) This is actually a really good thing because all my Christmas stuff is in the guest room right now.  The guest room will become our little boy's bedroom.  I'm thinking that room should be a little more presentable and so it's great motivation to get all the Christmas stuff back to the attic where it belongs.  (Aren't you excited about that, Bret?!)  


Next on my list is to get stuff like birth and marriage certificates, read a book they asked us to read, and start some online training we will need to have completed.  Plus fill out paperwork.  The journey continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment